Saturday, August 14, 2010

What’s Next? Locusts?




Think of my new gazebo as "screen house version 2."

I've always thought that we were facing a serious set of 3 problems, a trifecta of "peak oil", debt (national, state, personal), and terrorism. Each of these is bad enough, but they feed on each other and are interrelated. If we can no longer afford to fund police and our national defense, we are more exposed to terrorism (which will likely increase). Peak oil issues cause everything from higher prices and shortages, trauma to our practice of stocking supermarket shelves via a long distance just-in-time inventory practices, which themselves can lead to shortages, anger or panic, and perhaps more extremism. The relationships are many.

Now I have to admit that there is an obvious 4th problem: global climate change. This winter we had snowfall totals of over 40 inches in DC. There has been intense record-breaking heat this summer in the metro DC area, with alternating wild rainstorms and more tornado watches than I have ever seen. 2010 is likely to be the hottest year on record, world-wide. There is unusual cold in South America, wildfires in Moscow, floods in Pakistan (and Iowa too). My screen house was a haven in 3 seasons protecting us from flying insects, and I lost it this winter when the winter storms came too fast and furiously. To take its place, I had a new, solid, gazebo built that should withstand the snow (screen house version 2.0, above), but now I worry about falling branches from all these storms.

Global climate change has obvious damaging effects, but it also has lots of subtle ones, even in your back yard. If you are a gardener, you are dealing with more than the usual problems: tomatoes cracking due to alternating dry and wet, cold and hot conditions. Power outages are followed by power surges; I've got a damaged DVR and outside security motion-detecting light that doesn't work any longer, both caused by surges when the power came back on.

Gardens are also yielding less, in part because there are fewer bees (bees are stressed by the weather too). New invasive species of weeds are growing like crazy. Some, like purslane, are rich sources of Omega 3 oils (so all is not bad.) And now there are the damned chiggers. I finally figured out that raised bumps at my beltline and below are not caused by fleas, ticks, or bedbugs, but chiggers. These nearly invisible beasts cause button-size welts and intense itching. Almost nothing gives relief.

In a recent editorial for the Wall Street Journal, "America is at Risk of Boiling Over," Peggy Noonan said she's worried that our nation is becoming simultaneously pessimistic and feeling helpless. She suggests this will lead to deep societal unrest. I agree with her. And wait until the four big problems become more active and begin feeding on each other. So what are the mitigation strategies? You can build a 10 double fence to keep out the deer and deer ticks (I did), but that won't protect against the chiggers.

4 comments:

Gary Allen said...

I have been experiencing the same sort of things here in Arizona as well. My tomatoes are all over the place as is the blasted heat. Fortunately were are not overrun with chiggers here like I use to have to live with back in Missouri.

I can tell you though there is only one thing that works as far as I am concerned and that is setting them fire and putting the fire out with an ice pick.

Really though, there are some guys that do have the cure and I swear by it and I tell everyone about them when they mention getting hammered with chigger bites.

I can only say the couple of bucks they ask for for their booklet is well worth the spend. I know he answers any questions you have also, don't be shy. Give them a shout at Chigger bite treatment

I hope this helps some folks. They sure saved my bacon.

Good blog post.
Haggard

Content Curmudgeon and the Green Hornet. said...

Although it doesn't work really well with the chiggers (it helps but not as well as with mosquito and other insect bites), here's my own personal recipe: 8 oz. Witch Hazel; 2 tablespoons of meat tenderizer (I kid you not). Shake, apply.

Anonymous said...

Just right within this write-up, I really expect this excellent website desires so much more contemplation. I’ll probably be as just stated to know more, thank you who data.

Anonymous said...

Cool information to my mind. Thnx a lot for posting this data.

Tom Phillsen
jammer store